Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Stop. Breathe. Enjoy.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

May 5 2011 - Day 120

A Belted Kingfisher



Let me start by saying that while this is a far from perfect picture technically I felt that there could be no other for this day. Our development has a retention pond. There's nothing much in it other than geese and ducks. So imagine my surprise when I heard what could only be the call of a Belted Kingfisher while walking my dog.

I turned and there he was...just sitting there. So I went home swapped my dog for my camera and went back hoping he'd still be there. He was.

Here's the thing about Kingfishers...they NEVER let someone get within 50 feet of them. Believe me I've tried. I've snuck, I've crept, I've tried Military Stealth techniques, but it never fails. He spots you and moves 200 feet further down the shore line. So you follow. And as soon as you think you've gotten close enough to maybe get a picture that _might_ be clear, he flies away a split second before the shutter releases.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent chasing these little guys. I can't help it...I don't like to say there's a bird that's simply not photographable.

This was the best that I had from that day. I like it. The irony that there's not a fish or minnow in the pond he spent the week hunting made me happy. Revenge of a sort I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment